Diversity Leadership Program - Mainstreaming Flex: MYTH vs REALITY
At this Diversity Leadership Program event, we drew on research to debunk some of the more common myths and inaccurate assumptions about workplace flexibility and discuss what can be done to dismantle them.
The future of work demands flexibility in the way individuals, teams, and organisations work.
Yet many Australian organisations have struggled to respond to this challenge.
One critical stumbling block has been the myths about workplace flexibility that abound. These discourage organisations and individuals from engaging in flexible work – they keep flexible work and flexible careers on the margins rather than mainstream.
At this event, we looked at how flexibility can be an enabler for a range of diverse groups in the workplace including people with a disability, carers, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander workers, mature-age workers etc.
Moderated by Chris Lamb, DCA Board Member and Group Head of Talent & Organisational Development at Lendlease our panel of speakers included:
- Professor, Rae Cooper, Co-Director of the Women, Work and Leadership Research Group in the University of Sydney Business School
- Jackie Woods, Engagement Executive Manager, Workplace Gender Equality Agency
- Jessica May, founder and Chief Executive Officer of Enabled Employment
- Farrah Behan, Director, Infrastructure & Real Estate Group, Global Banking, HSBC Australia
- Dr Jane O'Leary, Research Director DCA.