DCA and NAB Annual Diversity Debate 2016
Diversity Council Australia and NAB will be hosting the 2016 Annual Diversity Debate, moderated by Tony Jones, one of the ABC's most respected journalists and host of ABC TV's Q&A.
Progress has been made towards achieving gender equality in the workplace, yet significant issues still remain – such as the persistent gender pay gap, the serious under-representation of women in leadership, and the widespread prevalence of discrimination (for both women and men) when it comes to pregnancy, parental leave or on a return to work.
Much has been said about the need to involve men in efforts to achieve greater gender equality, especially since they hold most leadership positions and have the power to drive change. But just how important is engaging men? Is it really the ‘silver bullet’ or only one part of the picture? Does greater focus on men end up sidelining women more? Or are men as much hostage to a biased system as women?
At the 2016 Debate, we will ask: Is ‘engaging men’ the game changer for gender equality?
At this year’s debate, you will see high profile panellists debating both sides of this important topic including:
- Kate Jenkins, Federal Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Australian Human Rights Commission
- Stephen Barrow, Executive General Manager, Culture and Capability, National Australia Bank
- Pip Marlow, Managing Director, Microsoft Australia
- Associate Professor Michael Flood, Sociology, LHA, University of Wollongong
- Clementine Ford, freelance writer, broadcaster, public speaker
- Benjamin Law, TV screenwriter, journalist and newspaper columnist