Diversity in the Legal Profession Network
Diversity Council Australia is delighted to invite members within the legal profession to attend the next meeting of DCA’s Diversity in the Legal Profession Network at Gilbert + Tobin. Exclusively for DCA members, this meeting will focus on progressing accessibility for people in law with a disability. This network offers legal professionals the opportunity to discuss the challenges specific to their field in a closed and trusted environment.
Diversity and inclusion is an important issue for many law firms around Australia. There is considerable evidence to support the business case for diverse workplaces and for the inclusion of people with disability in particular, yet many of our workplaces are not taking advantage of this untapped talent pool and the legal sector is no exception.
At this next meeting of the Legal Profession Network we will feature two special guest speakers, each with a law degree, who work in the legal world in different ways and have different experiences and insights into working with disability. Guest speakers will include:
- Darren Fittler, Lawyer at Gilbert + Tobin and the lead partner in the firm’s Third Sector Advisory Group and DCA Director,
- Alastair McEwin, Executive Director of Community Legal Centres NSW, the peak body for 39 Community Legal Centres in NSW. Previous roles include CEO of People with Disability Australia and Manager of the Australian Centre for Disability Law.
Our expert speakers will explore:
- Progressing accessibility for people in law with a disability
- Examples of leading practice in the legal sector on attracting, retaining and progressing talent with a disability
- The rights of persons with disability and discrimination matters as they apply to people with disability
- The barriers to inclusion in the legal profession and how to overcome those
- The real life experiences of legal professionals working with disability.