CEOs and other leaders of some of Australia’s largest organisations this week met with David Morrison AO, Diversity Council Australia Chair and 2016 Australian of the Year, to discuss opportunities and challenges for diversity and inclusion (D&I) in the workplace.
Leaders present at the roundtable forum, hosted by ANZ in Sydney, were representative of a range of sectors including financial services, higher education, state government, emergency services, aged care, insurance, engineering and professional services.
David Morrison said the forum was a unique opportunity to bring together a diverse group of organisations to discuss D&I.
“I was excited to meet with some of DCA’s largest member organisations. While the challenges facing each of these organisations may differ, they all shared a commitment to the need to do more to create diverse and inclusive workplaces.
“Gender diversity is often a key focus for many organisations but there are other challenges. We discussed the need to better capitalise on cultural diversity in the workforce, how to mainstream flexible work and careers, and what it will take to encourage more inclusive leadership,” said David.
DCA’s CEO, Lisa Annese, said the forum highlighted the need for all organisations to have access to the best advice and support to enable them to drive change.
“Choosing evidence-based D&I programs that have been proven to deliver results is obviously key. Our research and insights always have this in mind and are valuable tools for any organisations wanting to experience the business benefits of D&I,” said Lisa.
Participants at the forum included:
- Lieutenant General (retired) David Morrison AO, DCA Chair and 2016 Australian of the Year
- Lisa Annese, CEO, DCA
- Fred Ohlsson, Group Executive, Australia, ANZ Bank
- Peter Bailey, Chief Executive Officer, Arup Pty Ltd
- Katarina Carroll APM, Commissioner, Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
- Martin Hoffman, Secretary, NSW Department of Finance, Services & Innovation
- Ian Jacobs, President and Vice-Chancellor, University of New South Wales
- Tim Plant, Chief Executive Officer - Aust & NZ Operations, QBE Insurance
- Steve Teula, Director, Uniting Ageing
- Gary Wingrove, Chief Executive Officer, KPMG.