This week, people across Australia will start receiving their ballots to vote on marriage equality.
Diversity Council Australia is proudly supporting the YES campaign. For us, it’s an issue of fairness and equality and something that will truly cement inclusion for our LGBTIQ+ family and friends.
Four ways to help secure a YES victory
- Join or host a marriage equality calling party
- Add your logo to the rapidly growing list of allies of the YES campaign
- Make staff feel welcome by flying a rainbow flag at your office (literally or metaphorically)
- Show your support on social media.
Join or host a marriage equality calling party
The single most important thing you can do right now to support marriage equality is to make phone calls to secure a YES victory.
You can sign up to participate in an existing calling party event or host your own calling party. When hosting an event, you can make it public so anyone can join you, or it can be a private calling session for your staff only. The Campaign provides all the information you need to make the calls. Even if you have never called before, don't worry, it's fun and easy as this video shows! Visit www.yes.org.au for more information.
Calling people to make sure they understand exactly what they need to do to make their YES vote count, could really make a difference in this campaign.
Lots of DCA members have been doing this already and have events coming up:
- Qantas will be organising calling parties and inviting their 30,000 staff to join
- Commonwealth Bank's Unity LGBTI network ran a calling party in their Sydney HQ last week
- Westpac's GLOBAL network is organising calling parties this Thursday
- Global technology consultancy, Thoughtworks are planning on launching calling parties soon.
- Baker McKenzie is running a calling party with their staff later this week
- Amnesty International is also running multiple calling parties every week with their staff.
Become a YES ally!
Add your logo to the rapidly growing list of allies of the YES campaign. Hundreds of DCA members have already signed up as supporters of marriage equality but you can go one step further and show your support for a YES victory.
Fly a rainbow flag!
Make staff feel welcome by flying a rainbow flag at your office (literally or metaphorically). GLOBAL, Westpac's LGBTIQ+ network, has organised for staff to be welcomed into the Westpac Group offices in Barangaroo, Sydney, by rainbow security gates. Westpac GLOBAL Deputy Chair Lucy Jackson and Chair David Cao proudly showcase these new gates. It's messages like these that will make your LGBTIQ+ staff and their allies feel respected and included during this process.
UTS recently updated their logo and shared this message on Facebook:
At UTS we’re diverse and proud of it! We support our LGBTIQA+ community as part of our broader commitment to equality. We’re also formal supporters of Australian Marriage Equality. Be active citizens by completing and returning your voting forms when you receive them, and maintain our culture of respect and tolerance at all times. #utsforall