Diversity and inclusion have been high on the agenda in Australia on many fronts throughout 2016 and DCA is proud to have been a voice in these matters and to have assisted our members to develop their capabilities in these areas.
Australian of the Year: DCA Chair David Morrison
The year began with a major nod to the importance of D&I, when DCA’s Chair Lieutenant General (retired) David Morrison AO became Australian of the Year. This honour recognise the achievements of eminent Australians who have contributed significantly to improving the lives of their communities, their state and our country, which David achieved during his tenure as the Chief of Army, when he advocated for increased gender diversity and LGBTI-inclusion in the armed forces.
Leading research & thinking
- For International Women’s Day, we busted the myths and misinformation about women and confidence at work to reveal the truth and what organisations can do about it.
- DCA’s #WordsAtWork initiative gained much attention in the business and wider community as we led the discussion about the role language can play in workplace cultures and the benefits that can flow from more inclusive language.
- Building on our landmark work into Asia Capability: Leading in the Asian Century that was released last year, we produced a number of Asian Capability leading practice case studies demonstrating how member organisations have begun maximise business and investment opportunity in the Asian region.
- The release of our Future-Flex: Mainstreaming flexibility by design challenged organisations to re-design work at the team and organsiational levels to maximise performance and wellbeing.
- We also raised the question of why the gender pay gap has remained stubbornly flat for years. She’s Price(d)less: The Economics of the Gender Pay Gap, a report prepared by KPMG Australia for DCA and the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) examined the factors that underpin the gender pay gap and identified areas that need to be addressed in order to effect change in this area.
- And we provided a summary of the policies that support diversity and inclusion in Australian workplaces that each of the major parties took to the 2016 election.
- Nearly 30 highly engaging events on a range of diversity and inclusion issues including flexible working, age and disability discrimination, cancer and work, Islamophobia, the notion of privilege, domestic violence and building workplace capability for Indigenous Australia.
- The Annual DCA & NAB Diversity Debate saw over 400 people gather to listen to a spirited and entertaining discussion on whether ‘engaging men’ is the game changer for gender equality.
We advocated on behalf of our members and made submissions to a number of important inquiries on:
- freedom of speech and proposed changes to the Racial Discrimination Act; and
- paid parental leave.
We also contributed to public discussion and debate through interviews with the media, published opinion pieces and our own blog, covering issues such as marriage equality, bullying and violence against women, the ‘bamboo ceiling’, sexism and racism in the media, technology and accessibility as well as other matters relating to gender, cultural and religious diversity.
Not only did we provide one-on-one advice and assistance to our members but also expanded our suite of in-house knowledge programs on offer to include:
- Inclusive Leadership; and
We were delighted to see our membership reach new heights with:
- over 370 organisations in the corporate, multinational, government, non-government and not-for-profit sectors now taking diversity very seriously and using DCA resources to build their capability;
- more than 7,000 individuals subscribe to our regular electronic newsletter; and
- nearly 5,000 staff within our member organisations are signed up to receive our other publications Research Matters and Diversity Matters.
We could not have achieved all of this without the continued support from our members partner organisations and sponsors and for this we offer our thanks. We particularly thank Deloitte for their generous provision of office accommodation and I.T. support.
The DCA team wishes you a happy and safe festive season!