Data such as the 2016 Census of Population and Housing conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) and industry reports tell us about the state of play of age in Australia. For example:
- The median age of Australians is now 37 years.
- The ABS describes 'older workers' as those aged 45-64 years.
- Younger workers are generally considered to be between 15 and 24 years of age, although this can extend to 30 years.
- Challenges entering or re-entering the workforce impact younger and older workers in different ways.
- Attaching generational labels to groups of workers may not be an effective way to manage age diversity in the workplace.