Business Case for Diversity & Inclusion
Develop your own D&I business case
Business case for diversity
As employers we have legal obligations and responsibilities not to discriminate against employees and to take ‘all reasonable steps’ to prevent discrimination, harassment, victimisation or bullying.
Diversity also makes good business sense. Effective management of workplace diversity is clearly linked to improvements in organisational performance, effectiveness, profitability and revenue generation:
- A workplace that values diversity and is free of discrimination is more productive
- Greater employee satisfaction leads to improved productivity and profitability.
- Reduced employee turnover cuts the cost of having to replace skilled and experienced people.
- Harnessing employee skills and perspectives increases creativity and innovation.
Business case for inclusion
- The DCA-Suncorp [email protected] Index surveyed 3,000 working Australians and revealed strong growth in support for workplace inclusion. Inclusion at work continues to matter to the majority of Australian workers, benefits everyone (not just people from target or minority groups), and boosts employee performance and wellbeing. See DCA's [email protected] Index for more on the benefits of inclusion.
- Profit & Productivity: Employees in inclusive teams generate larger sales in stores, annual sales gain of $27,000 per employee (McKay et al., 2008)
- Innovation: Inclusive leaders and teams demonstrate higher levels of creativity, innovation and profit (Nishii, 2011; Tadmor et al, 2013)
- Engagement: Inclusion associated with greater engagement, commitment and satisfaction (Acquavita et al., 2009; Chor & Mor Barak, 2008; Nembhard & Edmondson, 2006)
- Opportunity: Employees in inclusive teams experience better job opportunities and career advancement (Ibarra, 1993; Mor Barak & Cherin, 1998)
- Wellbeing: Inclusion associated with higher employee wellbeing and employees feeling valued and respected (Catalyst, 2015; Ely & Thomas, 2001).
The rest of this content is restricted to DCA members.