We were privileged to have Associate Professor Dr Lynette Riley, Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney School of Education and Social Work, join us to share her vast knowledge, awareness and personal experience of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and truths.
Dr Riley, a Wiradjuri and Gamilaroi woman and Indigenous education pioneer and expert has focused for more than 30 years on improving educational delivery for Aboriginal students and educating the wider public about Aboriginal people. She was a finalist for the 2021 NSW Aboriginal Woman of the Year.
Dr Riley provided insights on:
- Aboriginal Kinship systems
- Aboriginal social structures and how they differ from Western societies
- How cultural difference impacts upon Aboriginal people
- Indigenous self-determination and
- Truths around racism in the workplace.
Following this presentation, DCA Board Member Kate Russell moderated a discussion with guest panelists:
- Dr Siddharth Shirodkar, ANU Visiting Fellow at the Centre for Social Research & Methods and Sir Roland Wilson Research Scholar Alumni, and
- Associate Professor Dr Lynette Riley, Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney School of Education and Social Work.
“This was one of the most stimulating, thought-provoking and engaging webinars I’ve ever attended. The guest speakers challenged my thinking, which disturbed me – and I am grateful to them for doing so. I felt enriched as a result of listening to them” Anon, event participant
“I really enjoyed this session and found it very informative and useful to my on-going work with Aboriginal people, both within and outside of my organization” Anon, event participant
“Such a valuable webinar that improved my knowledge and has only made me want to keep educating myself” Anon, event participant
“Well organised, easy to register, passionate speakers, good practical information that I could bring back to the workplace for discussion” Anon, event participant
“Incredible. Engaging. Funny. Moving. Thought provoking. And to know that 100’s of people across the country were able to bear witness to this insightful and intelligent discussion is very encouraging” Anon, event participant