CREATING INCLUSIVE MULTI-FAITH WORKPLACES is a new resource for DCA members to help workplaces move away from simply ‘accommodating’ the needs of their multi-faith employees, towards making workplaces inclusive for everyone in Australia’s increasingly religiously diverse workplaces.
The resource is designed to provide guidance to Australian workplaces about how to deal with a range of common faith-related queries, and also to provide workplaces with principles to help balance issues where conflicting rights might intersect.
From legal accommodation to inclusion
We want to elevate the conversations that we have each day so they respect and include all.
INCLUSION is a higher aspiration than simply meeting the legal requirements to accommodate people of faith (or no faith) at work.
Inclusion in a workplace is achieved when a diversity of people (e.g. ages, cultural backgrounds, genders, perspectives) feel that they are:
- RESPECTED for who they are and able to be themselves;
- CONNECTED to their colleagues and feel they belong;
- CONTRIBUTING their perspectives and talents to the workplace; and
- PROGRESSING in their career at work (i.e. have equal access to opportunities and resources).
Balancing competing rights
A common question we receive at DCA is how to handle situations where someone’s religious beliefs, challenge another person’s belief or identity, especially if this has an impact on the needs of the business.
There are no easy answers, but the principle of inclusion – ensuring that all employees are respected, connected, and able to contribute and progress – can help navigate some of these situations.
OR LOGIN TO DOWNLOAD THE REPORT (MEMBERS ONLY)
Want to Use Our Research?
Where you wish to refer to our research publicly, it must be correctly attributed to DCA.
- Formal attribution to DCA is required where references to DCA research material are in a written format.
- Citing DCA as a source will suffice where the reference is made in a verbal format.
The suggested citation for this report is:
Diversity Council Australia, Creating Inclusive Multi-Faith Workplaces, Sydney, Diversity Council Australia, 2019.